NLP is a study of human mind. In advance levels of NLP we look at ” HOW some people create magic” . It could be in writing, speaking, art work or a professional in any organization. Today,I would like to explore the Logical Levels of Change in NLP from Aspiring Writer’s Context.
Who is an aspiring writer ?
Someone who wants to write and publish articles.
Someone who is already writing and publishing articles at a small scale.
There would be one problem both categories would be facing ” getting stuck”, this is not a writer’s block – this is a lack of understanding of the ” HOW”. Here NLP can help you with Logical Levels of Change.
Let’s understand the NLP Logical Levels of Change, it comprises of 6 steps.
- Spirituality – What is your bigger purpose of writing ?
- Identity – How would people identify you as an author? In which genre would you like to write?
- Values and Beliefs – What is important for you? What do you believe in?
- Capabilities & Skills – What capabilities do you have currently, and what capabilities you need to acquire ?
- Behaviors – What are your current behaviors,what needs to be changed?
- Environment – Where to change?
What needs to be changed for an aspiring writer – so that he writes often, so that he consistently writes, so that he publishes his writing ?
While studying the change , NLP Model, we follow a ”bottoms up ” approach which means we start from the lowest level, which is often the easiest level
- Environment – As an aspiring writer, what in your environment is helping you or is an impediment to your growth ? Do you have your own space for writing ? Great authors always will have their own ‘space’ or they find an ideal space. Right space brings energy. Right Space motivates you. Have you ever wondered how prisoners write wonderful articles? Where do they get energy ? In my experience I have found out – a change in the environment to a positive environment can bring 50% change instantly.
- Behaviors – A simple definition of a behavior is what you think – feel and act. As an aspiring writer ,you probably need to assess your THINKING_FEELING_ACTING segments of life. What is your thinking about writing – Is this an enjoyable activity ? or Is this a passive activity ? Do these thoughts empower you? If you constantly THINK – Writing wont give you money – you FEEL dis-empowered and you ACT in a demotivated manner. In order to change your thinking, which is the root of all ACTIONS, you need send right information to the brain – either through research, reading, interactions , you must convince yourself that – Writers can make money.
- Capabilities & Skills – You are an aspiring writer which means you probably have some writing skills, you probably need to acquire some writing skills. Example of skills could be Storytelling or Story writing skills, language skills, creative thinking skills. The beauty of any skill is – it can be learned and taught. YES ! writing is a skill hence it can be taught. In order to acquire the right skills, you need to observe proficient writers and do exactly what they do – remember it is not the content – it is the behaviors . What they think about? What words do they use? What is their purpose of writing ?One of the best ways to improve capabilities and skills is to sign up for a course – a writing course, a language course
- Values and Beliefs – We are getting into the serious part of CHANGE, values and beliefs. Value here means – what is important for you. Imagine you as a writer like humorous writing and you dislike scientific writing and imagine you are given a job to write – scientific fiction. You probably wont take up the work, or you drag and procrastinate. In order to be successful and motivated all the time about writing – you need to clear about your value systems . Your belief plays a vital role too – if you believe – you cannot be a good writer, in spite of having excellent language skills , creative thinking – your ideas wont see light. You take it to the graveyard . Some times affirming that you have IT, you can write,and you are willing to learn how to write – you probably would race ahead of many EXCELLENT writers, who haven’t penned down a single line.
- Identity – Imagine you been raised in a family which discouraged writings or any art work – what could be your identity as a person – a person disrespecting other’s work , a sarcastic man , an indifferent person. Now, Imagine you been raised in a family where any piece of writing is celebrated , your identity could be ______? Identity is an important aspect in bringing change – think of some identifiers in life – an Indian, French Language expert, a cricketer . In the world of writing – what is your identify now ? A toddler ? Imagine you continue writing for next 20 years, what could be your identity – a columnist, a novelist, a poet . Identity is the mission – what is your mission of writing – to persuade, to entertain, to influence, bring awareness . Who you are and What do you do is two different things – once you are clear with – who you are and you start doing towards it – the identity becomes clearer and clearer. Ask yourself these questions –
- How do you describe yourself as a writer ?
- What labels do you put on other people?
- How would others describe you as a writer?
- Spirituality – this is an interesting aspect of logical levels of change. NLP logical level connects you with the larger picture when you begin to question your own purpose, ethics, mission, or meaning in life. It brings us to the realms of spirituality and questions of existence. You might be thinking what is SPIRITUAL here – answer is simple – why do you want to write ? Why not dancing , why not painting but why writing . CLARITY OF THIS ANSWER COULD HELP YOU TO FIND THE BIGGER PURPOSE OF LIVES. People operate at a spiritual level operate from the heart , they are compassionate, they are givers – when you read a piece of article written by someone , your heart beats – WOW! what a piece of writing ! To get clarity , you probably could ask these questions :
- For what reason are you writing?
- What would you be your contribution to be to others?
- What personal strengths can you add to the bigger world out there through writing?
- How would you like to be remembered after you die?
— Louis L’Amour